International bachelor students
Will I receive a Binding Study Advice this year?
The Binding Study Advice for current first-year students will be postponed until the end of the second academic year (academic year 2020-2021). We are still investigating how we can give shape to this agreement within Fontys.
Do I have to continue paying tuition fees while there is no physical education? Fontys will do everything possible to continue the lessons via distance education. So there is education and that means that you have to pay tuition fees.
Because of the coronavirus, I can't work alongside my studies because my secondary job has stopped. I can't pay my tuition fees. What can I do?
DUO makes every effort to help you and will take your personal situation into account. At DUO, you can make use of the loan possibilities and increase your loan. If necessary, with retroactive effect from the beginning of the academic year. In addition, you can apply for a tuition credit. You can arrange this yourself via myDUO. If this is still insufficient, please contact DUO for a customised solution.
I would graduate this year and have already enrolled in another programme (master's, university or elsewhere), what should I do if I am unable to graduate due to the coronavirus?
For the answer to this question, please contact the course for which you have enrolled.
Is it still possible to get extra guidance from a student counsellor or student psychologist?
Yes, it is. Due to the measures related to the Corona virus, all appointments take place by telephone- or via Skype conferences. Check www.fontys.edu/fontyshelps
I am an international student, where can I go with questions that do not directly affect my studies but my well-being?
We want your stay in NL to be pleasant despite the situation and to make you feel good.Fontys' services continue, it is now also possible to make an appointment with a student coach, dean or psychologist via Skype.Other information can be found here: fontys.edu/fontyshelps.
What do I have to know when returning to the Netherlands?
Please take into consideration it’s possible that the situation caused by the Corona Covid-19 virus is going to take longer than a few weeks, potentially months and consider the consequences this can have for you; for your visa, your study or internship progress, your financial, social, and personal situation.It might not be possible or easy to return to the Netherlands, due to potential travel restrictions or other situations. This will be different for every student. Fontys would like to support you in looking for solutions as much as possible.What we do:
- The Coordinators Internationalisation are well-informed. Contact them for help or any further information.
- Fontys makes sure these Coordinators Internationalisation are well-informed about the policy and actions taken by the Dutch government.
What we ask to do:
- Register at the local embassy (the embassy of your own nationality)
- Check if it is possible to book a return trip. Contact your travel agency, airline and insurance company.
- Contact your Coordinator Internationalisation to provide an update about your situation.
Where should I report if I'm infected with the Corona virus?
We would like to ask you urgently to report by telephone to your institute's business office. Mention whether you have been in contact with fellow students or whether you live in Fontys accommodation, for example. This report is also important if you are unexpectedly delayed in studying due to the Corona virus. Of course, you must also follow the rules of the GGD.
My international study/internship will start soon, how do I know it is safe to go abroad?
Fontys currently has a travel ban on all outgoing mobility until further notice, meaning students are not allowed to travel abroad for study of internship. Fontys is monitoring the situation constantly and will share updates on the Q&A. Make sure you keep yourself informed and contact your coordinator Internationalisation to discuss the consequences of the travel ban for your studies.
I am currently abroad for a minor or internship. What should I do?
Fontys urgently asks all students to return to the Netherlands as soon as possible. Please take into consideration it’s possible that the situation caused by the Corona Covid-19 virus is going to take longer than a few weeks, potentially months and consider the consequences this can have for you; for your visa, your study or internship progress, your financial, social, and personal situation. It might not be possible or easy to return to the Netherlands, due to potential travel restrictions or other situations. This will be different for every student. Fontys would like to support you in looking for solutions as much as possible. Please contact your coordinator Internationalisation your coordinator Internationalisation.
I am an international bachelor or master student and I want to go home. Is the situation around Corona a valid reason?
No it is not. Although Fontys is currently not providing education on campus we are currently working to provide you with online education. We do understand you might feel unsafe or worried about the Corona situation. We suggest you keep informed visiting the websites provided on www.fontys.edu/corona. If you do decide to return to your home country you need to inform your School/programme.
I am an international student. I can't come to Fontys right now. Will I get exemptions or will my expenses be reimbursed?
For the answer to this question, please contact the institute where you registered.
I am doing an internship in a hospital/care centre. Does this require extra attention? We ask students to follow the instructions there. If this leads to questions about the study progress (e.g. the hospital is locked down), customisation is required
1. Residence permit
- Temporary home leave.
If you go home temporarily, return to Fontys at a later stage and continue your enrollment as a student, you do not have to make any arrangements. Your residence permit will remain valid.If at some point you decide not to return to Fontys, please contact the coordinator of your study program and deregister as a student at Fontys. The study program coordinator communicates this to Team International Students and your residence permit will then be revoked.
- Your study progress.
Due to the Covid-19 virus outbreak the mandatory amount of credits to retain your residence permit will be calculated proportionally. This means if you have gained 50 percent of the credits possible to obtain until March 13 the temporary closure of Fontys due to the Corona virus outbreak will be taken into account. You do not have to worry about this.
- Permit extension.
If your residence permit needs to be extended in the coming months, you can do this digitally. You can start the extension process 3 months before your permit expires.
- Terminating your studies.
If you want to return to your home country and terminate your study program, please contact the coordinator of your study program and deregister as a student at Fontys. The study program coordinator will communicate this to Team International Students and your residence permit will be revoked.
2. Fontys housing
- If you go home temporarily, you are obliged to pay the rent for the remaining months (until July 31, 2020). This also means you can return to your room at any point. Please inform Team International Students about your plans, so they can ensure that the room will remain available to you.
- If you have rented a room via Fontys, the rental contract will expire on July 31, 2020. You will have to vacate the room per July 31, 2020. If you are staying in a studio on the Lombokpad, you have a different rental contract and other conditions may apply
- If you are staying in a private rental accommodation we advise you to contact your landlord.
3. Insurance through InsureToStudy
- If you go home temporarily and return to Fontys at a later stage, your insurance will continue as is. You will be contacted by InsureToStudy to extend the insurance per July 31, 2020. The can be done online.
- If you have insurance with a different insurance company, you must contact them to cancel or extend the insurance.
4. Registration at the municipality:
- If you return home permanently, you must deregister at the Municipality
- If you go back home temporarily, you do not have to deregister. Deregistering with the Municipality will then cause problems for your residence permit.
Where can I go with my questions about the Coronavirus in relation to my study?
There is a website fontys.nl/corona and fontys.edu/corona for international students. There you will find Q&A with frequently asked questions and answers. If your question and the answer are not listed there is a central point: firstname.lastname@example.org where you can ask your question.