Content of the programme
The minor covers technology aspects (3D graphics, visualization, IO-devices/systems), human aspects (behavior, presence, illusion) and design aspects (content, interaction, animation).
Objectives of the course
- To understand the technologies, underlying principles, potential, and limits of VR,
- To examine the computer hardware and software technologies that are used to build VR environments,
- To get hands on experience with 3D graphics techniques (modelling and programming) and issues,
- To investigate the human factor issues in virtual environment, • To learn about immersive, 3D human natural interaction techniques and issues,
- To investigate state of the art Virtual Reality concept and technologies,
- To gain practical experience in designing, implementing, and evaluating a virtual environment.
The course consists of the following subjects
Educational activities Ec’s Code Quarter Description 3D graphics 3(6) V3D1 1 Geometry, scene graphs, transformations, material, light models, texturing, particles Content Creation 3(6) VCC1 1 Modelling tool, box model, textures, animation, optimize, bones. Virtual Environments & Devices 3 VED1 1 VR-Systems, applications, tracking devices, IO-devices, human senses Project 1 3 VPT1 1 Proof of concept in collaboration with company (OCE, ASML, PHILIPS, Vanderlande, DAF) Capita selecta 1 VCS2 1&2 Select between own proposal, VR Event or Visualization course User Experience 3 VUX2 2 The human is central in a virtual world. How does VR work in medical, psychological and pedagogical applications. How can VR influence, train, treat (pain, photophobia, addiction etc.) people. How can human behavior be modified? The keywords are perception and immersion. User Interaction 3 VUI2 2 UI design principles, usability, (audiovisual) interface design & feedback, scaffolding, affordance theory, and natural user interface principles. Project 2 8 VPT2 2 Big project to integrate the different parts of VR, in collaboration with a company or organization. Activities: • Research on topic/theme (analysis), • User experiments set up, • Design, build and test an VR application, • Run experiments, • Process data. • Presentation.
The minor is accessible for students with some scripting (php, python) experience. So you don't need to be an excellent programmer.
All students follow the basic program, but they can choose for deepening in a module in period 1. In the table these choices are the ec's between the brackets. So a student can choose for 6 ec's 3D graphics (deepening in programming) and 3 ec's Content Creation. Or a student can choose for 6 ec's Content Creation and 3 ec's for 3D graphics.
The project assignments are real questions from a company or organization and these companies actively participate in the project.