Data Driven Business Lab
- September, February
- 20 weeks
- Contact hours
- 15 - 20 per week
- About the minor
- Content of the Minor
- What we offer
- What we expect
- The learning goals
- Minor regulation
Are you triggered by what data can do for the world we live in, or willing to learn? Unlock doors and peek into the complex and exiting world of companies riding the perfect wave!
In the minor “Data Driven Business Lab” we have laid out a landscape in which you can define individual goals, competencies and personal skills, working in a team of international diversity. Focus on your own qualities and strive for excellence and adventure!
This minor falls under the responsibility of Fontys University of Applied Science ICT.
Join this Minor if you want to see, in practice, what the impact of data can be for a company or government and learn how it can support, change or even disrupt business models.
Imagine any company, not so many years ago. This company generated its own data and reports, based on its single and trusted source and examining the past. Yet the world this company lived in geared up, moved on, moved up. Everything is generating data, from phone calls to smart devices, from blogs to video feeds. The world now is a complex challenge, where data is available, abundant and everywhere, and internal company data is but part of the new truth.
Can these datasets be unlocked, combined and used for potential business benefit? Learn them to make many small decisions fast instead of large decisions at snail pace.
A changing of mindset and context: that is what we are going to discover together.
So how does this minor thing work?
In our “Data Driven Business Lab” you will be working with professionals in the field of Big Data and business partner coaches on real world assignments. An ample set of assignments and more; work in a group, yet create your own personal profile that will guide you to the finish.
Are you ready for it? Bend your brain on excellent topics and focus on the tools that you want to explore, be it fundamental research, theoretic, ethics, SAP (ERP, HANA Studio), R, Python, IBCS, Qlik and many others. Match business needs, with any mix of topics and any team..
Will you join? Smile and swim the data lakes with us!
- A real and authentic assignment in this field of work at renowned companies – you choose which project to take.
- You can apply for a project or in case you have your own suitable project this can also be taken into account, the requirements can be discussed (complexity and required knowledge).
- A lessons program, which you personally configure.
- A baseline of workshops to offer (personal and professional skills, systems and software, or knowledge) but in general you decide which skills and practical knowledge is needed to finish your project.
- No limitation to what you could learn.
- Guidance and coaching throughout your project to keep you on track:
- from the company where your project is
- from lecturers, specific subjects
- from a dedicated coach
- A self-aware student, who takes control of his/her study and wants to explore the field of Data Driven Business; Business Intelligence, Big Data and Data Visualization.
- You can set your own goals and plan your own progress; coaches help you in order to get to the desired level for this Minor. You decide which workshops lead to the result and completion of these goals.
- You have a basic understanding of business processes, the role and application of IT in companies and within business processes.
- You have an open mind to explore new possibilities, software and dare to fail, learning from that experience and grow in your professional performance.
- You want to work on your professional skills, like communication, presenting, working in groups, open mindedness, project management, (peer)feedback, etc.
- The student will be able to explain how data is flowing through an organization and which applications support the business processes and can show this within a project.
- The student will be able to explain how KPI's and data visualization effect the business processes and can show KPI's and data visualizations within a project.
- The student can explain the general Big Data Concepts, and is able to apply those principles within a project.
- The student can talk about internal and external information, which has an impact on a company and can use this (open) data within a project.
- The student can analyze a dataset by applying basic descriptive statistics techniques
- The student is able to show resilience, responsibility and innovation within a given project
Contactperson: D. van den Enden